SOFTWARE & HARDWARE FOR THE SOCIAL MEDIA PHOTOGRAPHER
(UPDATED June 15th, 2017) - Things change. My March, 2017 "social media photographer gear" article was live for no more than a few weeks when I dramatically changed my setup and workflow. So, let's do this. I'll post change-related blog posts when I make big changes to my set up, but my current list of gear and software will live here and I'll just link to this page anytime I refer to my gear or software in my articles.
HARDWARE & SOFTWARE TOOLS I AM CURRENTLY USING ON PROJECTS
This is the current gear I use on a day-to-day basis. The items on this list have been tested in real-world situations on real jobs. This is the gear and the software I use to deliver award-winning results to my clients. Everything on this list is highly recommended by me personally.
- Apple iMac 27" (32GB, 2TB, 3.3 GHz) running macOS Sierra with a Drobo 5D Personal Storage Array. This is my primary computer. All of my day-to-day work, my photo, audio & video editing is completed on this workstation. I also do some cross-platform app development & testing on this machine.
- Apple iMac 27" (32GB, 1TB, 3.2 GHz) running Microsoft Windows 10 Professional - This is my software development/testing workstation. The majority of my web and software development work is completed on this machine.
- Both workstations share a single daskkeyboard Prime 13 Mechanical Keyboard & Microsoft Surface Mouse using Symless' Synergy Pro. It's an amazing solution for folks who use two platforms simultaneously but who don't want to clutter up their desk with either a physical KVM switch or multiple keyboards and mice.
- Apple iPad Pro 9.7"
- Apple iPhone 7
CAMERAS & Main Gear
- Fujifilm X100T Cameras
- Apple iPhone 7 & 6S Phones with
- Cinetics Sliders, Domke Bags, Edelkrone Sliders, Evo Stabilizers, Giottos Ball Heads, and Manfrotto Ball Heads, Tripods, Monopods, Stands, & Lights.
- Creative - Adobe Bridge & Lightroom; Apple FCPX, Garage Band, & Motion; Audacity, Cinemagraph Pro, Portrait Pro Studio, SoundSoap, and TechSmith Camtasia.
- Development - Apple Xcode, Basecamp, FileMaker Pro Advanced, Microsoft Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio For Mac, Visual Studio Professional, & Xamarin Studio; and Xojo.
- Marketing - Bright Local, MailChimp, Moz Local, Rank Tracker, SEO Spyglass, SEM Rush, Spyfu, and Website Auditor
- Productivity - Apple Keynote, iaWriter, Microsoft Office, and OmniGraffle.
- Utilities - CleanMyMac/CleanMyPC, Dropbox, Google Chrome, and HMA! Pro VPN.
IOS PLATFORM (IPHONE & IPAD)
- Creative - Adobe Clip, Cinemagraph Pro, Cinematic, Filmic Pro, Koji Go, ProCam, ProShot, Quik, Snapseed, and VSCO.
- Development - Dash, and Panic! Coda & Transmit.
- Productivity - Apple Keynote, iaWriter, Microsoft Office for iOS, and OmniGraffle.
- Utilities - Dropbox and Google Chrome.