SOFTWARE & HARDWARE FOR THE SOCIAL MEDIA Strategist
(UPDATED July, 2017) - Things change. My March, 2017 "social media photographer gear" article was live for no more than a few weeks when I dramatically changed my setup and workflow. So, let's do this. I'll post change-related blog posts when I make big changes to my set up, but my current list of gear and software will live here and I'll just link to this page anytime I refer to my gear or software in my articles.
HARDWARE & SOFTWARE TOOLS I AM CURRENTLY USING
This is the current gear I use on a day-to-day basis. Note: My flirtation with Windows Pro 10 is over (for now). My concerns about the future of the macOS platform were alleviated enough after the 2017 WWDC keynote presentation by Apple that I am back on the macOS platform full time. However, I have adjusted my workflow enough that I can now make the move to Windows quickly and painlessly if necessary.
The items on this list have been tested in real-world situations on real jobs. This is the gear and the software I use to deliver award-winning results to my clients. I'm nor focused on getting my workflow and hardware/software set up optimized so I can get as much done as possible, as quickly as possible with the lightest footprint possible. This means scaling back not only the hardware, but the number of programs I use to get my daily work done.
As always, everything on this list is highly recommended by me personally.
Computers / Mobile
- Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 32GB RAM, 2TB HD, 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5) w/ a Das Keyboard Prime 13 Keyboard, Microsoft Surface Mouse, and a Drobo 5D (14.5TB) Personal Storage Array.
- Apple Macbook Air (11-inch, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7) w/ Microsoft Surface Mouse
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus (256GB)
CAMERAS & Gear
- Fujifilm X100T Cameras
- BeastGrip iPhone Rigs
- Blue & Rode Microphones
- Cinetics & Edelkrone Sliders
- Domke Bags
- EVO Gimbals
- Giotto's Ball Heads
- Manfrotto Ball Heads, Tripods, Monopods, Stands, & Lights
- Creative - Adobe Bridge & Lightroom; Apple FCPX & Garage Band; Audacity, Cinemagraph Pro, Filmic Pro, Portrait Pro Studio, ProShot, Quik, Snapseed, SoundSoap, TechSmith Camtasia, & VSCO Filters.
- Development - Apple Xcode, FileMaker Pro Advanced, Microsoft Visual Studio For Mac, & Xojo.
- Marketing - Authority Spy, Bright Local, Link Assistant, MailChimp, MOZ Local, Rank Tracker, SEO Spyglass, SEM Rush, Spyfu, & Website Auditor
- Productivity - Apple Keynote, Basecamp, iaWriter, & Microsoft Office.
- Utilities - CleanMyMac, Dolphin Browser, Dropbox, Feedly, Google Chrome, & HMA! Pro VPN.