SOFTWARE & HARDWARE FOR THE SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIST
(UPDATED February 2018) - Things change. I wrote Social Media Photographer Gear on my blog in March of 2017, then dramatically changed my setup and workflow a few weeks later. Psych!
Let's do this. I'll write an entire post when I make big changes to my setup and keep my current list of gear and software here. I'll link to this page anytime I refer to my gear or software online.
My Hardware & Software Setup
This is the current gear I use on a day-to-day basis to deliver award-winning SEO and social media marketing results to my clients. It's all been tested in real-world situations and on real jobs and, as always, everything on this list is highly recommended by me personally.
I focus on efficiency with my hardware and software budget, which is not the same as being frugal. I won't sacrifice the quality of work I produce for the sake of saving a few dollars. However, I don't want to throw money away, either. So, I work hard to get the tools I need versus the ones I just want. How does this manifest itself?
One example is that all my content is delivered in 1080p HD. That means I don't need to be worried if my next camera has a 4k option because I won't be needing it.
I'm also focused on getting my workflow, hardware and software setup optimized so I can get as much done as possible, as quickly as possible, and with the lightest footprint possible. This means scaling back not only the hardware, but also the number of programs I use. While my flirtation with Windows Pro 10 is over (for now), I have adjusted my workflow enough that I can now make the move to Windows quickly and painlessly if necessary.
Without further ado, here's the list:
Computers / Mobile
- Late 2015 Apple Retina 5k, 27-inch iMac (2TB HD, 3.3 GHz i5, 32GB RAM) w/ Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard With Numeric Keyboard & Microsoft Wireless Surface Mouse
- Apple iPadPro 10.5 (512 GB)
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus (256GB)
Cameras & Gear
- Fujifilm X100F cameras
- DJI Spark drone
- Cinetics Cinemoco & Edelkrone sliders
- Domke bags & Pelican cases
- Manfrotto ball heads, tripods, monopods, stands, & lights
- Rode & Sennheiser microphones
- Creative - Audacity, Camtasia, FCPX, Garage Band, JPEGmini, PhotoMill, Quik, Reason, Snapseed, Tonalty, & VSCO.
- Development - Coda, Filemaker Pro, MAMP Pro, SQL Pro for MySQL, Visual Studio for Mac, Xcode, Xojo
- Marketing - AHREFs, Authority Spy, Bright Local, MailChimp, SEO Powersuite, SEM Rush, & Spyfu